• Combine pinto beans with a whole grain such as rice and you have a virtually fat free high quality protein meal.
• One cup cooked pinto beans provides 58.8% of daily intake for fiber.
• People who have ample fiber in their diets tend to have a healthier, lower weight and blood cholesterol.
• Dry beans are the only vegetable high enough in Protein to be listed as both a vegetable and protein on the USDA Food Guide Pyramid.
• One cup cooked beans provides between 21% and 27% of the US Recommended Daily Allowance of Protein.
The Healing Power of Beans
Beans were found to help curb caloric in-take and maintain a healthy weight because they are high in fiber and have a low glycemic index which promotes satiety and provides energy.
Beans are beneficial to people with diabetes because of their high fiber content and their low glycemic index (how slowly glucose is released into the blood- stream). Just ½ a cup of beans every day can help maintain normal glucose levels and promote a healthier weight.
More Health Benefits
People who ate beans at least 4 times a week were found to have a 22% lower risk of heart disease than those eating beans less than once a week.
According to data from 41 countries, those with the greatest consumption of beans had the lowest death rates due to breast, prostate and colon cancer,